Shutdown of 3G Networks in the USA
We advise that all major mobile carriers across the USA will shut down their 3G networks to pave the way for their final transition to 4G LTE and 5G technologies. This change means that older smartphones and other devices which utilize 3G technology will no longer work while roaming in the USA. The phase out will occur as per the following schedule:
|AT & T||February 22, 2022|
|T-Mobile||July 1, 2022|
|Verizon||December 1, 2022|
On the respective dates, all 3G devices will no longer work on those networks in the USA, and only customers using 4G LTE or 5G devices will be able to utilize roaming services.
It is important to note, that while you will be able to utilize roaming data services and Wi-Fi on 4G LTE or 5G devices in the USA, you will not be able to make traditional voice calls while roaming until
- Upgrade your device from 3G to a 4G LTE or 5G one that supports VoLTE
- Upgrade your SIM card to an LTE SIM
- Ensure that you subscribe to a suitable roaming package before departing
- Ensure that the VoLTE feature in your device is activated and updated with the latest version
- Ensure that VoLTE is switched on prior to travelling
As a result of these changes our prepaid USSD menu previously accessed via *129# will also cease to be operational given this requires a 3G network. We now invite our prepaid customers to visit http://roam.topupflow.com/ from their mobile device to manage their roaming plans.
See below for compatible VoLTE devices: